In the United States today, approximately 200,000 people are currently living with a spinal cord injury. Of these injuries, 46% of spinal cord injuries are caused by a car accident, semi-truck, or motorcycle accident.
Following a Chicago motor vehicle accident resulting in a back injury or spinal cord injury, the long-term costs are substantial. For many people, these costs will continue to accrue for a number of years.
Medical Costs of Spinal Cord Injury Caused by Auto Accident
Without differentiating according to the severity of the spinal cord injury, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) report that the average medical cost of a Spinal Cord Injury is between $15,000 and $30,000 per year.
Over a lifetime, the medical costs for a spinal cord injury can range from $500,000 to over $3 million.
These medical costs are from National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center and based on the level of the spinal cord injury and the person’s age at the time of the car accident.
- A spinal cord injury during the first year after the accident:
- C1-C4 injuries (high tetraplegia injuries) – $1 million
- C5-C8 injuries (low tetraplegia injuries) – $700,000
- Paraplegia injuries – $500,000
- Incomplete motor function at any level injuries – $300,000
- The lifetime cost of the spinal cord injury for a 25-year-old, the approximate cost is as follows:
- C1-C4 cervical injuries high tetraplegia injuries – $4.5 million
- C5-C8 injuries low tetraplegia injuries – $3 million
- Paraplegia injuries – $2 million
- Incomplete motor function at any level injuries – $1.5 million
- Settlement of a Spinal Cord Injury claim or case will include damages BESIDES medical expenses.
If you were injured in a car accident that causes a broken back, it is important that you talk with attorney.
Attorneys can ensure a recovery includes what is important to you, addresses your goals, and ensure your recovery reflect the accuratedam associated with the accident. We can help you prove up the maximum amount of damages in a personal Injury case through experts, reports, testimony and other information.
You are not just a file number at Cullotta Law Offices. Our goal is to help you during this catastrophic injury and get you and your family the financial recovery you deserve and will need.
Cullotta Law Offices – Glenview, IL – (847) 651-7191