Seven Facts & Statistics About Spinal Cord Injury In 2011 – By Cullotta Law Offices in Glenview, Illinois
Josephine Cullotta November 22, 2011
Spinal Cord Injury Facts and Statistics: 2021 vs. 10-years ago
1) Definition of Traumatic Spinal Cord Injury:
A Traumatic Spinal Cord Injury (SCI) is any injury to the spinal cord via blunt or penetrating trauma that manifests as variable loss of neurological functions (motor, sensory & autonomic / bowel, bladder, and sexual dysfunction) depending on the level and completeness of injury.
2) In 2021, about 78% of new SCI cases are male
3) Today vehicle crashes are the most recent leading cause of injury, closely followed by falls
4) The percentage of spinal cord injury based on level of injury are as follows:
- 2021, the percentage of spinal cord injuries was
Less than 1% of persons experienced complete neurological recovery by the time of hospital discharge.
47% incomplete tetraplegia
19.6 % complete paraplegia
20.2% incomplete paraplegia
12.3% complete tetraplegia
- 10-years ago, the percentage of spinal cord injuries was
40% incomplete tetraplegia
22% complete paraplegia
22% incomplete paraplegia
16% complete tetraplegia
4) Residence after a spinal cord injury:
- 10 years ago: Nearly 90% of everyone living with an SCI are sent to a private, noninstitutional residence. Roughly 10% of individuals living with an SCI are being discharged to a nursing home, hospital, group living situation, or other destinations.
5) Occupational status after a spinal cord injury:
- IN 2021, 18% employed one year after their SCI, 13% employed 40 years later
- 10 years ago, 12% in a model system (as in Illinois) and employed 1-year after their SCI occurrence. 20-years later, 35% of people were employed.
- In 2021, 24% non-Hispanic blacks and 13% non-Hispanic blacks in the general population
7) Average age of an individual sustaining an SCI
- in 2021 – 43 years old
- 10 years ago –29 years old.
Cullotta Law Offices (Glenview, IL) is an experienced northeast Illinois Traumatic Spinal Cord Injury (SCI) lawyer near Chicago, Illinois. She represents clients with spine/spinal cord injury and traumatic brain injury (TBI) throughout Illinois since 2006.
If you have suffered a traumatic spinal cord injury in IL, contact Attorney Josephine Cullotta at Cullotta Law Offices in Glenview, IL. Call 847-651-7191 to set up a free spinal cord law consultation.