- Do I Need a Brain Injury Attorney or Should I Settle Directly With An Illinois Auto Insurance Company?
- Recovery for a Chicago Illinois Traumatic Brain Injury
- FAQ: How to determine brain injury settlements in Illinois (IL)
- How Will a Chicago Brain Injury Affect My Ability to Think?
- Can post traumatic headaches differ for men and women?
- FAQ: What 4-Things Should You Know Before Hiring Illinois Traumatic Brain Injury Attorney
- FAQ: What is the most common cause ofa brain hemorrhage (bleeding)?
- How will my Child’s Chicago brain injury affect his education?
- FAQ: How will a Chicago brain injury affect my memory
- Can my family bring a lawsuit on my behalf if I am in a coma following a Chicago brain injury?
- Why would a neurologist send a traumatic brain injury patient for a neuropsychological or psych exam
- ID symptoms of a brain bleed caused by a IL Chicago car accident
Calculating damages for Brain Injury Settlements
Every traumatic brain injury is unique and settlement depends on a wide variety of factors.
Insurance companies and attorneys representing look at certain factors when evaluating a head injury case before settlement. These may include:
- The severity of your brain injury (hospitalization, surgery, rehabilitation, disability)
- Amount of pain and suffering
- Extent and duration of medical treatment since brain injury
- How soon after injury was treatment sought, gaps in treatment
- Lost income or time from work; work restrictions, disability temporary or permanent
- Reduced quality of life
- Facts of the case
- Witness statements, depositions
- Past medical history
- Determination of liability
Which factors correlate with higher settlement offers and jury verdict awards
Past and future lost income and medical expenses, round-the-clock care, multiple surgeries, extensive hospitalization, and rehabilitation typically generate higher settlement offers and jury verdict awards. This is because past and future medical treatment and lost wages for a brain injury can be very expensive. However, every case is different.
Accident victims suffering damage to the brain could require surgery, caregivers, round clock care for many years or 6-months. As such, depending on the particular facts of your brain injury case, it can be a multi-million dollar case.
Insurance company auto claims adjusters
After an auto accident, adjusters will begin calling you. They will often encourage you or your family to settle on a fixed amount of damages prematurely before the true extent of the trauma injuries is known or understood.
Call (847) 651-7191 for FREE consultation with our Illinois brain injury attorney.